love means never having to explain why you’re a NASCAR fan

Being a single woman is tough. There are a million guys out there and all you need is just one good one, but no matter what you do it feels like the hardest thing to do.

In the past I’ve explained how living in the San Francisco Bay Area makes it hard to be a NASCAR fan because NASCAR didn’t start here and so people are more than likely to look at me crazy when I tell them that I’m into it. But then add in dating to the mix and it’s whole other story.

The thing is I don’t feel like I need to explain myself. It’s one thing if I’m asked about how I became a fan and all that, but having to explain why I am one is kinda annoying. It feels like I’m being asked to explain why I was in prison that one time (I was never in prison, this is just an example people), like I’ve done something so odd and strange and out of character that there must be some crazy story behind it. Frankly, anyone that’s a fan of sports can be a fan of NASCAR but that’s another blog post for another day.

The bottom line is I can’t be with someone who’s going to tease me (or attempt to tease me) about being a racing fan. It’s just not going to work. I’ll get annoyed and even though they’ll apologize or say something to make up for it, it’s already out there and it’s going to bother me. If you can’t respect my interests then I can’t deal with you.

I met a guy recently who races motorcycles, so you’d think he’d get it. Oh, no. He was a total racing snob. He didn’t think that racing on a super speedway took skill — this from a man who’s never driven a race car before.

I don’t know. It seems like guys always have to act like they know everything. I wish they’d learn that it’s ok if they don’t know everything, that we’ll still like them even if they don’t. You don’t have to prove yourself at every moment and you just look stupid when you try to tell me everything about a sport that I watch every weekend and read about almost everyday.

So anyway, in conclusion, all I have to say is that I hope someday (soon please!) that I can meet a guy who digs NASCAR (or at least doesn’t feel the need to belittle it) and we’ll live happily ever after.

1. May 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM ·

Ya know…people either get it or they don’t. As you know I live on the central coast of Cali. Nascar isn’t as prevalent here as motorcycle racing, indycar racing, and such all of which are raced about 10 miles from my house at Laguna Seca. Tell people you are a NASCAR fan though and they tend to look at you like you have a horn growing out of your head :/. I don’t understand the stigma…and I am not sure if it is a California thing or what…

(and if you find him…find out if he has a cute single brother ;-))

2. Donnie
    May 2, 2008 at 6:09 AM ·

To bad you live in Cali. Here in Houston if there is a NASCAR race to watch, I’ll be watching it,Pratice or qualifing,no need to explain here,It’s mandatory.

3. May 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM ·

I know how you feel. Living in south Georgia it is different a bit, in the way that EVERYONE is a race fan (of some sort) but the phrase redneck, which shouldn’t be implied at all times, usually is. Most of men around here, are either the stereotypical redneck persona or simply don’t get it.

I don’t think any of us can win.

4. Kendria
    May 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM ·

I know what you mean. I live in Las Vegas, I work in a Day Spa (as a manicurist), I’m black and LOVE NASCAR. (So like you I totally get it) The look on people’s faces is absolutely priceless. As far as men, I agree if you can not respect my interest then I don’t have time. No, I will not miss the race to go have lunch with you. Maybe we can go to dinner when the race is over. Most men at some point get drawn in just by my enthusiasm. My roommate (who is male) told me Saturday that he can actually distinguish some of the driver’s voices because of me. Then he ran and hid in his room after the Jr. Busch wreck. See and he’s smart.
    Anyways I do enjoy your blog and good luck with the dating to you and all of us single NASCAR girls.

5. July 8, 2008 at 8:29 AM ·

I arrived at this story through your wonderful photo links. Great idea … Anyway, there must be some cache to be a female NASCAR fan, a sport so tyrannized by the boys. I think it takes testosterone to love the sport, but that can be secreted as much by the mind as by the hormones (I think it takes estrogen to love poetry and I love poetry but I’m a dude, an ex-rocker who loves NASCAR). All it takes is some freedom of the imagination and a willingness to swing a little loose. He’s out there.

6. Lindsey
    May 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM ·

Great post!! I’ve been dealing with this very issue for the last 4 years. Having to defend or standup for something you enjoy is not the most fun experience… yet also being from California I find it a constant. Best of luck to you! I sure hope to one day meet that fan that is just as enthusiastic about the sport as I am!