wtf?! gilliland gets jacked again?!

David Gilliland (credit: The Fast and the Fabulous)So, there I was just scanning the headlines on my iGoogle homepage and what do I see?? This: “Bobby Labonte to attempt to qualify in No. 71 car for TRG Motorsports in Atlanta Sprint Cup race”

Uhm, let me see if I can summarize my thoughts at that moment. It was something along the lines of “What the fuck?!” Sorry, I can’t censor myself right now.

What the hell is going on? I mean, really? They’re really letting Bobby Labonte drive the No. 71 at Atlanta this weekend? Why does David Gilliland keep getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop?? For a second I thought/hoped that maybe he was just sick or something, I dunno, something that would prevent you from driving that had nothing to do with other people’s stupidity.

David is a good guy and a good driver. It’s gross how he keeps getting passed over for other people who, with all due respect to Bobby Labonte, haven’t done anything in quite sometime. I think I did a good job of illustrating that back when Bobby and Paul Menard joined Yates Racing earlier this year replacing David and eventually Travis Kvapil. So I don’t feel the need to go through it again.

I’m so irked that this happened again to David at TRG — an organization that I thought understood the potential of the driver in their stable and valued the fans he brought with him. I get it that Bobby has won a Championship and whatnot, but it’s just annoying to me that it’s so hard for some drivers that deserve a ride to be able to get a chance to just grow somewhere.

I have no idea what will happen beyond this year between TRG and David, maybe this is just a blip and next year his ride will truly be his for the entire season.

Ugh. Maybe I am being a bit dramatic but this is getting really old.

1. Heather
    September 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM ·

You are not being too dramatic. Alot of us are pissed!!! Part of me hopes Bobby blows it this weekend so TRG kickes themselves in the butt. I am just so sick to my stomach that David works his tail off all season for that damn team and for most of the races they are sponsorless and have to start and park. Now that they have a TaxSlayer Bobby gets to drive, and it will probably be the whole race! That is so messed up…..UGHHHHHH!!!!!

2. September 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM ·

Valli..you took the words right out of my brain! I cannot believe that it is once again Labonte ‘jacking’ David. Especially when you realize that when Bobby got into David’s equipment at Yates Racing, he has not done as well as David. And now….let Bobby find out what truly horrible equipment is like. David has driven his heart out for TRG. Buckler and The Racers Group have lost fans, and I am not happy with the sponsor either!

3. September 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM ·

Thank you !! you hit the nail right on the head with a 6 lb. single jack !!

4. springer mom
    September 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM ·

Thank you Valli. I am definitely not feeling the sunshine about this situation. David doesn’t deserve this, he really doesn’t. You hit the nail on the head.

5. madmaxvtx
    September 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM ·

I feel your pain, I trusted TRG and once again for stabbed in the back. well if they were looking for a past champion why not call richard petty I am sure he could do a better job and would probable love the ride.
    TRG you lost any respect you may have had. to flat out lie to your fan base that stood behind you when you were no bodies, who took money from there own pockets to buy some tires for David to race, i do expect a refund bur seeing the true caliber of this organization i guess that’s stupid to think will ever happen. what ever happened to honor and respect -guess they don’t teach that in collage. more so its ” use others before they can use you” TRG new motto

6. RA6AN
    September 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM ·

Gilly’s in the 21 this weekend

7. Sabrina
    September 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM ·
  8. carolinaracegirl
    September 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM ·

I too was pissed when I read in the local newspaper on vacation that BL was replacing David for the Atlanta race. I was aghast!!!
    Now I am so happy that he wil be driving the #21 Wood Brothers car. Great qualifying effort! :)

Go David!