shut up about about danica, i’m so over it!

espys_dpatrickSo this whole Danica Patrick coming to NASCAR thing is irritating to me on a couple levels.

Take out the fact that she’s a girl and a fan favorite for a moment. What has she done? She’s won ONE race in IndyCar. One race. Uno. That’s all she’s got. No one was losing their mind about the possibility of Sam Hornish Jr. coming over to NASCAR, and he’s won the Indy 500 and the IRL Championship three times.

So what’s with all the hubbub about Danica? If you take out her record then it’s because she’s a woman and she’s pretty. I’ve got absolutely nothing against her (ok, I’m still irked she didn’t know who Gloria Steinem was, but whatevs), of course I want to see a woman compete at the highest levels and win everything there is to win.

And it’s not that I don’t want her to ever come over to NASCAR, I just think she should stay where she is and get great — win more races, and win a Championship. Conquer IndyCar first and then give NASCAR a try. Otherwise, it smells like a gimmick and I don’t like gimmicks.

It reminds me of those guys who are basketball phenoms in high school who skip college and go straight to the pros. I don’t like that either. I’d say the same thing about this whole situation if it was Marco Andretti who was thinking about coming to NASCAR. He’s only won one race so far, but his last name carries weight.

We’ve got enough “fan favorites” in NASCAR. We’ve got a lot to talk about. And to the people who think that it would “help” NASCAR if she came in, I think that’s complete horse crap. NASCAR doesn’t need her. NASCAR has female fans, and female fans don’t need to look at female driver in order to enjoy racing. I think that whole train of thought comes from short-sighted men who don’t give women enough credit.

1. Sarah
    September 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM ·

You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn’t agree with you more! Well said.

2. September 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM ·

Here Here!!! I tried to say something similar in my post last night…but I was tired when I wrote it and it didn’t come out as good!!!

3. Phoenyx
    September 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM ·

When it comes to a woman making her way into the NASCAR top 3 series, I was really pulling for Crissy Wallace. I’m still kinda disappointed that her gig with Germain didn’t work out.

Danica coming to NASCAR… I wish she wouldn’t. For reasons you’ve mentioned. Nothing against her personally. I just think she’s overhyped. NASCAR already has a prima donna crybaby and doesn’t need another one. And though I don’t care for him personality-wise, he’s much more talented in the 3 series that I think she’ll ever be. Though she could prove us all wrong and succeed in NASCAR better than she ever did in Indy. If that’s the case, more power to her. She’ll just need to put on the big girl panties and leave her attitude at the door.

(Though I gotta admit, a catfight between her and Kyle Busch is something I’d pay to see… I’m kinda twisted that way)

4. September 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM ·

I agree with you Valli….this Danica thing is a gimmick…and a money maker! Te realty is that while NASCAR knows that a lot of women are hooked on to its product because of the cute guys. This a way to hook more men or increase the amount of time the current male fans spend at the races etc.
    What they fail to realize it is that both men and woman want to watch quality races! I very much want a women to kick ass…heck that is why I am loving Rachel Alexander (the race horse) she is kicking butt and taking names. Danica do that and I will be a fan forever! Mom.

5. September 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM ·

LOL @ Phoenyx! The image the catfight between her and kyle comment made me laugh…and I love Kyle!

6. Sabrina
    September 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM ·

AMEN!! I’m glad someone is finally voicing their true opinion on this!! I believe the women who worked their way up dreaming of racing in NASCAR are the ones who deserve the ride, not some “big name” from another series.